Are you asking yourself…
- Am I subject to double taxation on the income I earn?
- Will I still be subject to U.S. gift and estate tax rules as a Canadian resident?
- What is the best way to gift assets to a non-U.S. spouse?
- Is my investment portfolio structured from a Canadian and U.S. tax perspective?
If this is you, it’s time to speak with an advisory team that is qualified and understands the unique tax and estate requirements of managing the cross-border affairs of affluent individuals and families.
Need Help Managing Your Cross Border Lifestyle?
As an American residing in Canada, it’s important to make sure your financial affairs are structured properly to avoid double taxation issues and ensure compliance with the laws of both countries. Our specialists can advise on a broad array of issues specific to Americans living in Canada, including:
- Steps to take to reduce taxes before becoming a resident of Canada
- Additional U.S. tax filing requirements now that you’re living in Canada
- Necessary modifications to make your U.S. estate plan valid in Canada
- Canadian exit tax issues when returning to the U.S.
- U.S. gift and estate tax rules now that you’re living in Canada
- The best way to set-up a Canadian small business or corporation
- What to do with your U.S. stock options and restricted stock units (RSUs)
- Management and tax planning relating to a U.S. inheritance
Aside from the requirement that all U.S. citizens must annually file a U.S. tax return regardless of their residency, Americans should be aware that many of the tax and estate planning strategies that worked well for them in the U.S. may not work as well for them in Canada. Likewise, tax and estate planning strategies that are effective in Canada could complicate U.S. tax and estate planning.
Ready to take the Next Step?
Whether you are transitioning residency between the U.S. and Canada or you have already made the move but continue to hold investment assets or financial interests in both countries, proper cross-border financial planning can integrate and coordinate the asset management of your investments, reduce taxes and maximize your estate.
If you would like to discuss your cross-border financial planning needs or request further information, please complete our contact form and a Cardinal Point representative will reach out to you.